Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Turning Point for Mountaintop Removal Coal?

A Turning Point for Mountaintop Removal Coal?

John McQuaid, Forbes

Forbes
I first wrote about mountaintop removal mining – the practice of blowing the tops off mountains to excavate coal - about four years ago, and the shock of the reporting is still with me. On one of my first visits to a mountaintop site in West Virginia, I stood on the edge of a vast area under excavation. A mountainside had been rendered like a side of beef. You could spy thin, darker layers of coal amid the thicker shale. Trucks crawled over the makeshift roads, carting boulders to dump in a nearby valley. Suddenly, a huge demolition blast went off; the earth shook under my feet. As a companion and I walked away, noxious-smelling yellow smoke enveloped us. In short: you can’t truly understand the total war-like devastation that this does to mountains without...
Read Full Article ›› http://www.realclearenergy.org/2012/12/04/a_turning_point_for_mountaintop_removal_coal_250398.html

No comments:

Post a Comment